Oct 29, 2009

poetry


Max sings in a soprano choir. They had a small concert this past Sunday after their annual fall retreat. As usual, it was wonderful and I think I cried for every song. I'm like that though. The song choices are achingly beautiful. They are old fashioned. One of them was this Robert Frost poem set to music. Oh my goodness. I wish you could have heard it.

The Pasture by Robert Frost
I'm going out to clean the pasture spring;
I'll only stop to rake the leaves away
(And wait to watch the water clear, I may):
I sha'n't be gone long. You come too.

I'm going out to fetch the little calf
That's standing by the mother. It's so young,
It totters when she licks it with her tongue.
I sha'n't be gone long. You come too.


I am a sucker for a good poem. There is nothing that compares to a simple verse that sings to the soul. Matt loves poetry, too. And, of course, we have foisted it on our children. They have several 'poems in their pockets'.

This is one we are working on right now. Love it, I do!

SOMETHING TOLD THE WILD GEESE

By Rachel Field

Something told the wild geese

It was time to go,

Though the fields lay golden

Something whispered, "snow."


Leaves were green and stirring,

Berries, luster-glossed,

But beneath warm feathers

Something cautioned, "frost."

All the sagging orchards

Steamed with amber spice,

But each wild breast stiffened

At remembered ice.

Something told the wild geese

It was time to fly,

Summer sun was on their wings,

Winter in their cry.

1 comment:

Zane Wooder said...

I love poems for their artistic detail. With a story your telling someone what's going on. With poem's it's expressing the author's attention to detail.

-Zane of ontario honey