Feb 23, 2010

future diplomat

This is another of my 'conversations overheard'. You can probably tell that I love eaves dropping on my children. It's one of the great priviledges of mothering.

This was Max calling our neighbor the other morning. Poor woman, she probably didn't even know that she was going to be side swiped by a 10 year old when she innocently answered the phone.

"Hey Mary, it's Max."

I'm guessing she said something like..."Hi Max"...because she's nice that way.

"I was just thinking about coming on over to your house. Is that fine with you?"

BAM!

Does the woman have any choice in the world with the way that question was phrased?

No, she does not.

Max went right on over.

Don't let anyone ever try to convince you that there is not power in words and, in particular, their method of delivery.

I was just thinking about coming on over to your house.

Is that fine with you?

No comments: